Dr. Michael Crawford
|Dr. Michael Crawford
Laparoscopic and Hepatobiliary Surgeon
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery M.B.B.S., (1992)
- FRACS (1999)
- M.Med.(Clin.Epi) U.Syd. (2005)
Fellow of Royal Australasian College of Surgeons 1999
Masters of Medicine (Clinical Epidemiology) U.Syd 2005
- 1992-1998, Internship through Registrar Training, – Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
- 1999, Fellow in Upper GIT Surgery/ “Chief Surgical Resident” – Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
- 2000, Staff Specialist Transpl Surg – Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
- 2001-2002, Fellow in Transplant Surgery – Hosp.Univ.Pennsylvania (Philadelphia)
- June 2002, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
- The Mater Hospital
- February 2007-present Head Liver Transplant Surgery Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
- The NSW Medical Board.
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
- Hepatobiliary (liver, pancreas, gallbladder and bile duct) Surgery
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Liver Transplant Surgery
- Obesity Surgery
- International Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary Association (IHPBA)
- ANZ Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary Association (ANZHPBA)
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS)
- International Liver Transplant Society (ILTS)
- Obesity Surgery Society of ANZ (OSSANZ)
- ANZ Gastro-Intestinal Trials Group (AGITG)
- Transplant society of Australia and New Zealand (TSANZ)
Current Appointments (Public Hospital):
- Departments of Upper GIT Surgery and Transplant Surgery (Head Liver Transplant Surgery) Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Camperdown NSW
Private Hospital Visiting Rights:
- The Mater Hospital (Crows Nest) NSW
My particular interests are:
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Surgery of the Liver, pancreas and bile duct
- Liver Transplantation
- Hernia Surgery
- Gallbladder Surgery
I am a father of three boys. I enjoy Sailing, Skiing and other outdoor activities. I play Bridge (the card game) and computer games. I enjoy the challenge of difficult and delicate surgery, and I am proficient at advanced laparoscopic surgery.
Dr Crawford is extensively trained to be able to deliver first class care and techniques to patients with a variety of surgical needs.
General Surgery: Dr Crawford performs common General Surgical Operations such as Hernia and Gallbladder surgery. Dr Crawford is an expert in the laparoscopic (key-hole) management of these and other general surgical conditions.
Hepatobiliary Surgery: Much of Dr Crawford’s focus has been Mastery of complex hepatobiliary surgery. Dr Crawford led the Liver Transplant Surgery team at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital for many years. Dr Crawford has fostered the training of surgeons in HPB surgery. He is a founding member of the Australian and New Zealand Hepato-pancreatico-biliary association. He has convened meetings for the ANZHPBA. Dr Crawford is a member of the International Hepatic-Pancreatic-Biliary Association. Dr Crawford attends and presents at international and national conferences on Liver, Pancreatic and Biliary Surgical issues. Dr Crawford has been an early adopter of laparoscopic techniques applied to pancreatic and liver surgery.
Bariatric Surgery: Dr Crawford has substantial experience and expertise in Obesity Surgery. He has performed Gastric Band surgery for 7 years and Sleeve gastrectomies since 2012. Sleeve gastrectomy has gradually overtaken Gastric banding as the most common bariatric surgery performed by Dr Crawford.
Laparoscopic Surgery: Dr Crawford has matured in his surgical practice alongside the development of laparoscopic surgery for various indications, making him an expert in many procedures laparoscopically. Dr Crawford routinely performs many operations with “key-hole” surgery. His laparoscopic operations include: Gallbladder and biliary surgery, inguinal and incisional herniae, distal pancreatectomy, splenectomy, adrenalectomy, bariatric surgery and some liver resections. Key-hole surgery means less pain and risks of wound complications such as infection, bleeding and hernia formation.
Dr Crawford is the father of three boys. While he enjoys skiing, competitive bridge, sailing and other outdoor pursuits, the majority of his leisure time is taken up with his children’s activities.
Memberships of societies and learned bodies
- Transplantation Society of Australia and New Zealand TSANZ
Liver Transplant Standing Committee: executive member
- Sydney Upper Gastro-Intestinal Society SUGS
- Fellow – Royal Australasian College of Surgeons RACS
- Obesity Surgery Society of ANZ OSSANZ
- ANZ hepatic pancreatic and biliary association ANZHPBA
Executive board member (public officer)
- International Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary Association IHPBA
- International Liver Transplant Society ILTS
- Emergency Management of Severe Trauma -1995
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates
Definitive Trauma Surgical Care Course -2006
- Full certificate – 2000
- ECFMG number 0-613-343-3
Publications and research activities:
- Ryu SW. Saw R. Scolyer RA. Crawford M. Thompson JF. Sandroussi C. Liver Resection for metastatic melanoma: equivalent survival for cutaneous or ocular primaries. Journal of Surgical Oncolgy. 108(2):129-35, 2013 Aug.
- Van der Stelt JM. Verran DJ. dero RA. Christine H. Crawford M. Initial outcomes of using allografts from donation after cardiac death donors for liver transplantation in New South Wales.Medical journal of Australia. 199(2):104-6, 2013 Jul.
- Pulitano C. Crawford M. Ho P. Gallagher J. Joseph D. Stephen M. Sandroussi C. Autogenousperitoneo-fascial graft: a versatile and inexpensive technique for repair of inferior vena cava. Journal of Surgical Oncology. 107(8):871-2, 2013 Jun.
- Hatzaras I. Gleisner AL. Pulitano C. Sandroussi C. Hirose K. Hyder O. Wolfgang CL. Aldrighetti L. Crawford M. Choti MA. Pawlik TM. A Multi-institution analysis of outcomes of liver-directed surgery for metastatic renal cell cancer.HPB. 14(8):532-8, 2012 Aug.
- De Graaf EL. Kench J. Dilworth P. Shackel NA.Strasser SI. Joseph D. Pleass H. Crawford M. McCaughan GW. Verran DJ. Grade of deceased donor liver macrovesicularsteatosis impacts graft and recipient outcomes more than the Donor Risk Index.Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepaology. 27(3):540-6, 2012 Mar.
- Ramponi F. Kench JG. Simring DV. Crawford M. Abadir E. Harris JP. Early diagnosis and resection of leiomyosarcoma of the inferior vena cava prior to caval obstruction.Journal of Vascular Surgery. 55(2):525-8, 2012 Feb.
- Rahbari NN. Garden OJ.Padbury R. Maddern G. Koch M. Hugh TJ. Fan ST. Nimura Y. Figueras J. Vauthey JN. Rees M. Adam R. Dematteo RP. Grieg P. Usatoff V. Banting S. Nagino M. Capussoti L. Yokoyama Y. Brooke-Smith M. Crawford M. Christophi C. Makuuchi M. Buchler MW. Weitz J. Post-hepatectomy haemorrhage: a definition and grading by the International Study Group of Liver Surgery (ISGLS). HPB 13(8):528-35, 2011 Aug.
- Koch M. Garden OJ. Padbury R. Rahbari NN. Adam R. Capussotti L. Fan St. Yokoyam Y. Crawford M. Makuuchi M. Christophi C. Banting S. Brooke-Smith M. Usatoff V. Nagino M. Maddern G. Hugh TJ. Vauthey JN. Greig P. Rees M. Nimura Y. Figueras J. DeMatteo RP. Buchler MW. Weitz J. Bile leakage after hepatobiliary and pancreatic surgery: a definition and grading of severity by the International Study Group of Liver Surgery. Surgery. 149(5):680-8, 2011 May.
- Rahbari NN. Garden OJ. Padbury R. Brooke-Smith M. Crawford M. Adam R. Koch M. Makuuchi M. Demateo RP. Christophi C. Banting S. Usatoff V. Nagino M. Maddern H. Hugh TJ. Vauthey JN. Greig P. Rees M. Yokoyama Y. Fan St. Nimura Y. Figueras J. Capussotti L. Buchler MW. Weitz J. Posthepatectomy liver failure: a definition and grading by the International Study Group of Liver Surgery (ISGLS). Surgery 149(5) 713-24, 2011 May.
- Prakaso E. Verran D. Dilworth P. Kyd G. Tang P. Tse C. koorey DJ.Strasser SI.Stormon M. Shun A. Thomas G. Joseph D. Pleass H. Gallagher J. Allen R. Crawford M. McCaughan GW. Shackel NA. Increasing liver transplantation waiting list moratlity: a report from the Australian National Liver Transplantation Unit, Sydney.Internal Medicine Journal. 40(9): 619-25, 2010 Sep.
- Sandroussi C. Crawford M. Lockwood DS. Tang P. Gallagher JP. Pleass H. Strasser SI.Shackel NA. McCaughan GW. Verran DJ. Donor and recipient selection leads to good patient and graft outcomes for right lobe split transplantation versus whole graft liver transplantation in adult recipients.Liver Transplantation. 15(11):1586-93, 2009 Nov.
- Shackel NA. Jamias J. Rahman W. Prakoso E. Strasser SI.Koorey DJ. Crawford MD. Verran DJ. Gallagher J. McCaughan GW. Early high peak hepatitis C viral load levels independently predict hepatitis C-related liver failure post-liver transplantation. Liver Transplantation. 15(7):709-18, 2009 Jul.
- Geenen IL. SosefMN. Shun A. Crawford M. Gallagher J. Strasser S.Stormon M. McCaughan G. Verran DJ. Usage and outcomes of deceased donor liver allografts with preprocurement injury from blunt trauma.Liver Transplantation. 15(3):321-5, 2009 Mar.
- Perry JF. Charlton B. Koorey DJ. Waugh RC. Gallagher PJ. Crawford MD. Verran DJ. McCaughan GW. Strasser SI.Outcome of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma referred to a tertiary centre with availability of multiple treatment options including cadaveric liver transplantation. Liver International. 27(9):1240-8, 2007 Nov.
- Laurence JM. Lam VW. Langcake ME. Hollands MJ. Crawford MD. Pleass HC. Laparoscopic hepatectomy, a systematic review.ANZ Journal of Surgery. 77(11):948-53, 2007 Nov.
- Tobin P. Clarke S. Seale JP. Lee S. Solomon M. Aulds S. Crawford M. Gallagher J. Eyers T. Rivory L.The in vitro metabolism of irinotecan (CPT-11) by carboxylesterase and beta-glucuronidase in human colorectal tumours.British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 62(1):122-9, 2006 Jul.
- Sheldon DM. Crawford M.Mihrshahi S. Gallagher J. Storey D. Therapeutic considerations in obstructive jaundice due to hepatic artery aneurysm.HPB 2006, 8(1):71-74.
- Yasutomi M. McCall J. Munn S. Sosef M. Crawford M. In situ split liver transplantation using a donor with a recent history of HELLP syndrome.Transplantation. 81(4):639-40, 2006 Feb 27.
- Liu T. Dilworth P. Sosef M. Wang C. Crawford M. Gallagher J. Verran D. Arterial vascular conduits in adult orthotopic liver transplant recipients.ANZ Journal of Surgery. 76(1-2):64-7, 2006 Jan-Feb.
- Rangiah DS.Cox M. Richardson M. Tompsett E. Crawford M.Small bowel tumours: a 10 year experience in four Sydney teaching hospitals.ANZ Journal of Surgery. 74(9):788-92, 2004 Sep.
- Verran D. Crawford M. Stormon M. Shun A. Liver retransplantation in an infant requiring cavoportal hemi transposition.Pediatric Transplantation. 8(4):416-9, 2004 Aug.
- Velidedeoglu E. Bloom RD. Crawford MD.DesaiNM. Campos L. Abt PL. Markmann JW.Mange KC. Olthoff KM. Shaked A. Markmann JF.Early kidney dysfunction post liver transplantation predicts late chronic kidney disease.Transplantation. 77(4):553-6, 2004 Feb 27.
- DesaiNM. Mange KC. Crawford MD.Abt PL. Frank AM. Markmann JW. Velidedeoglu E. Chapman WC. Markmann JF. Predicting outcome after liver transplantation: utility of the model for end-stage liver disease and a newly derived discrimination function.Transplantation. 77(1):99-106, 2004 Jan 15.
- Abt PL. DesaiNM. Crawford MD. Forman LM. Markmann JW. Olthoff KM. Markmann JF.Survival following liver transplantation from non-heart-beating donors.Annals of Surgery. 239(1):87-92, 2004 Jan.
- Crawford M. Live donor liver transplantation: where does it stand in Australia and New Zealand? Internal Medicine Journal. 33(11):482-3, 2003 Nov.
- Abt P. Crawford M. Desai N. Markmann J. Olthoff K. Shaked A. Liver transplantation from controlled non-heart-beating donors: an increased incidence of biliary complications. Transplantation. 75(10):1659-63, 2003 May 27.
- Velidedeoglu E. Crawford MD. DesaiNM. Campos L. Abt PL. Markmann JW.Mange KC. Bloom R. Olthoff KM. Shaked A. Markmann JF.Predictors of late kidney dysfunction post-liver transplantation.Transplantation Proceedings. 34(8):3315-6, 2002 Dec.
- Lin M. Crawford M. Fisher J. Hitos K. Verran D.Hepatic artery thrombosis and intraoperative hepatic artery flow rates in adult orthotopic liver transplantation.ANZ Journal of Surgery. 72(11):798-800, 2002 Nov.
- Nanashima A. Pillay P. Verran DJ. Painter D. Nakasuji M. Crawford M. Shi L. Ross AG. Analysis of initial poor graft function after orthotopic liver transplantation: experience of an australian single liver transplantation center.Transplantation Proceedings. 34(4):1231-5, 2002 Jun.
- Nanashima A. Pillay P. Crawford M. Nakasuji M. Verran DJ. Painter D.Analysis of postrevascularization syndrome after orthotopic liver transplantation: the experience of an Australian liver transplantation center.Journal of Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Surgery. 8(6):557-63, 2001.
- Crawford MD. Biankin AV. Rickard MT. Coleman MJ. West R. Niesche FW. Renwick SR. The operative management of screen-detected breast cancers.Australian & New Zealand Journal of Surgery. 70(3):168-73, 2000 Mar.
- Crawford M, Huber D, Hogg J, et al. Normal Popliteal Artery Diameter by Duplex Ultrasound.The Journal of Vascular Technology 22(1):13-16, 1998
- Crawford MD, Harris J, May J, Stephen MJ, White G. The Results of Long-term Stents in the Popliteal Artery without anti-coagulation. ANZ J. Surg May 1997 (Abs)
The Liver Transplant Operation inLiver Transplantation (Landes Bioscience Medical Handbook (Vademecum)) 2003. Eds.Michael R. Lucey, James Neuberger, Abraham Shaked
Other Research Activities:
Dr Crawford is an active supervisor of the work of students. He supervises PhD, Masters and Honour Student’s projects.
Dr Crawford is a reviewer for:
- ANZ Journal of Surgery.
- Liver Transplantation.